Although there are many books about research and research methods in education and the social sciences, very few focus specifically on critically reading research that has been completed by others. When reading and thinking about published research, it is useful to understand the complexity of what is involved in the process of research and how it is presented.
Understanding research: an introduction to reading research aims to introduce key concepts through the use of simple language to promote better understanding, build on South African as well as international examples and case studies, and develop the conceptual knowledge and skills necessary to evaluate research carefully and critically.
Contents include the following:
- The purpose and characteristics of educational research
- Different research paradigms
- Design and various styles of research
- Methods of collecting data
- Analysing, interpreting and presenting both qualitative and quantitative data
- Quality criteria
- Ethics and intersectionality
Understanding research is an indispensable guide for all students in the social sciences and education who want to learn more about reading and understanding research.